ALMS PTA STEAM
STEAM stands for
Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math.
The ALMS PTA STEAM Committee seeks to promote the importance of these subjects to both students and parents. STEAM subjects will be increasingly important for most if not all future career paths. Middle school is a critical stage for students to explore these subjects in the classroom and through hands-on activities outside of class.
Member Parents: Victoria Gerber, Aina Lakis, Kisha Skipper, Omer Uzun
Events planned at ALMS for 2018:
- Family Math Night Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018, 6:00pm - 8:00pm Free Admission, Raffles, & Food for sale; Open to all families including siblings!
- NRHS Science Research Application Info Session (for 8th Grade Guardian / Student) Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 @ 6:30pm
- Hour of Code Night Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018, Time to Be Announced
- STEAM Movie Night Date & Time to Be Announced
Periodically, we will try to inform parents of other events outside of ALMS of which we become aware.
Some upcoming events outside of ALMS:
- 1st NRHS Planetarium Show Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018 @ 7:00 pm (Doors open @ 6:45pm)
- NYC STEM College and Career Fair Saturday, Oct 14, 2018, 1:00pm - 4:00pm Javitz Convention Center NYC (Free and Open to the Public)
- Mercy College Saturday STEM Academy Four Saturdays, Oct 20, 2018 - Nov 10, 2018, 9:00am-12:30pm (Price: $300 for four sessions. Includes snack.)
- NRHS Science Research Symposium Thursday, May 23, 2019 @ 7:00pm
- Westlake Science Fair at Westlake High School, Thornwood (Saturday, Jun 1, 2019 - NRHS sophomores are competing)
We need parents and high school students to help organize, promote, and run upcoming events, especially the Math Festival on Wednesday, October 24th. If you are ready to learn how to inspire your children of all ages to explore STEAM subjects, please contact us and look for notices about future events.
If you want to volunteer to help (previous science/math skills not required), have questions/comments concerning curriculum and clubs, or hear of other events you would like to share, please contact the Committee at email@example.com.